Why Do You Need to Have Your Wisdom Teeth Removed?
Our ancestors once needed wisdom teeth for their diets. However, because we now eat softer foods, our wisdom teeth are useless and even harmful if we don’t remove them. Our mouths only need 28 teeth, and wisdom teeth add an additional four.
If you don’t remove your wisdom teeth, they can cause issues such as:
- Gum disease
- Tooth decay
- Crooked teeth
- Tissue irritation
- Cysts and tumors
The earlier you have your wisdom teeth taken out, the easier they are to remove and the healthier your mouth will be.
What Should You Do Before and After the Procedure?
- You shouldn’t eat or drink for six hours ahead of time
- You’ll need to arrange for someone to drive you to and pick you up from the appointment
- We advise you to wear comfortable clothes
- We will first help you to relax with sedation
- We’ll then perform the surgery
- Most surgeries take about an hour
- We’ll give you pain medications to help with the discomfort and swelling
- We also recommend that you rest for the remainder of the day
- We’ll schedule a follow-up appointment to ensure that you’re healing
Wisdom Teeth After Surgery Procedure
We appreciate your decision to utilize our office for your oral and maxillofacial surgery need. As you know complicates may arise from any surgical procedure. The following list contains information that is intended to minimize your discomfort and quicken your recovery.
- Bite on gauze for one hour after surgery
- No smoking until healing is complete; do not place gauze over sockets to smoke as that will not help or prevent dry socket
- Take pain medicine before numbness wears off
- Place ice pack on face 5 minutes on and 10 minutes off for first 24 hours
- No milk or carbonated drinks for 24 hours
- Do not drink from a straw for 24 hours
- Do not spit forcefully
- Apply moist heat on face for 5 minutes on and 10 minutes off after 24 hours
- Rinse mouth with warm salt water after 24 hours
- Refrain from alcoholic substances while taking pain medicine or antibiotics
- For your convenience we do not require a follow up appointment with us if you are not having any problems unless otherwise instructed
- Call 901-398-0793 (questions answered 24 hours daily) if problems occur
How Can Our Team Help?
Our team of oral surgeons is ready to help you have healthier teeth. As specialists in wisdom teeth removal, we understand the problems, consequences, and side effects of wisdom teeth. We can deal with issues as they come up and ensure that you have a safe, healthy, and satisfying dental experience.
We also speak Spanish to better accommodate our clients’ needs.
Call 901-398-0793 today to schedule your consultation with an oral surgeon.